Man arrested in connection with last year’s massive attack on Deutsche Telekom routers
A British man has been arrested by authorities over suspicions that he is connected to a cyber-attack that infected nearly one million routers used to access Deutsche Telekom’s internet service last year.
The attack in Germany in late November resulted in network outages due to a failed attempt to hijack consumer router devices for a wider internet attack.
The attack disrupted services to as many as 900,000 people, around 4.5 per cent of Deutsche Telekom’s fixed-line customers.
It was part of a campaign targeting web-connected devices around the globe, the German government and security researchers said at the time.
Britain’s National Crime Agency (NCA) detained the 29-year-old Briton at one of London’s airports on Wednesday, police said in a statement.
Deutsche Telekom welcomed the arrest and said it was considering bringing civil charges against the suspect.
The man is suspected of targeting Deutsche Telekom’s routers to turn them into remotely controlled “bots” for mounting large-scale attacks that disrupt access to websites and computer systems, the German federal police said.
The police said the man, whom it did not name, tried to offer access to the network on the darknet, a part of the internet that cannot be accessed through normal browsers and is seen as harbouring criminal activity.
Public prosecutors in the German city of Cologne have requested extradition for the man who faces up to 10 years in prison if found guilty.
An NCA spokesman said:“NCA officers arrested a man in his twenties at Luton airport on February 22 2017 under an EAW (European Arrest Warrant), on behalf of the German federal criminal police office (BKA) in connection to offences committed in Germany.”
He said the man was arrested in connection with “separate offences committed in the UK” but could give no further detail.
Sign up to the E&T News e-mail to get great stories like this delivered to your inbox every day.