Google advised to limit 'right to be forgotten' to EU

An advisory group appointed by Google has backed the company’s view that links be removed only from websites in Europe, going against EU’s request to do it globally.

Google named the eight-member committee in May last year to guide it on how to implement an EU court ruling ordering it to get rid of links to personal information from search results upon request.

The European Union’s data protection regulators said that the online search giant should remove links worldwide, including from

However, and although Google was swift to apply the ruling over the summer, it only removed links from European domains such as or, but not, even when accessed in Europe.

The panel advised that Google should only remove links to personal information deemed inadequate, irrelevant or no longer relevant from its European websites.

"It concludes that removal from nationally directed versions of Google’s search services within the EU is the appropriate means to implement the ruling at this stage," the council said in the report.

One member, Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, a former German justice minister, disagreed, saying that de-listing search results should be global.

"Since EU residents are able to research globally the EU is authorised to decide that the search engine has to delete all links globally," she wrote in the report.

The 44-page report issued on Friday carries no legal weight.

Recent articles

Info Message

Our sites use cookies to support some functionality, and to collect anonymous user data.

Learn more about IET cookies and how to control them