A woman allegedly died after being electrocuted answering a call on her iPhone 5, which was charging at the time

Apple investigate death from charging iPhone 5

Apple is investigating after a Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock while answering her iPhone 5 when it was charging.

The US technology company confirmed today that it was looking into last Thursday’s incident, in which 23-year-old flight attendant Ma Ailun, from China's western Xinjiang region, was electrocuted when she took a call on the charging mobile telephone.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter," Apple said in an e-mail.

The official state-media news agency Xinhua reported a police statement on the incident yesterday, but Apple declined to comment on details, such as whether this was an isolated case.

Ma's sister tweeted on Chinese microblogging website Weibo saying that Ma collapsed and died after using her charging iPhone 5 and urged users to be careful, a message that went viral on the site.

She posted: "[I] hope that Apple Inc. can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging."

In April, Apple apologised to Chinese consumers and altered iPhone warranty policies in its second-biggest market after its after-sales service suffered more than two weeks of condemnation by the state-run media.

Recent articles

Info Message

Our sites use cookies to support some functionality, and to collect anonymous user data.

Learn more about IET cookies and how to control them