Hacker habits reveal security surprises

Eighty-nine per cent of hackers admit knowing that IT staff are away on summer vacation would have little impact on their hacking activities, as 81 per cent revealed they are ‘far more active’ during the winter holidays.

Eighty-nine per cent of hackers admit knowing that IT staff are away on summer vacation would have little impact on their hacking activities, as 81 per cent revealed they are ‘far more active’ during the winter holidays with 56 per cent citing Christmas as the best time for corporate hacking, and 25 per cent citing New Years Eve.

According to results of a ‘Hacker Habits’ survey conducted among 79 hackers at the Defcon conference in Las Vegas by security management firm Tufin Technologies, fifty-two per cent of respondents stated that weekday evenings is when they spend most of their time hacking, with 32 per cent doing so during work hours (weekdays), and 15 per cent hacking on weekends.
 
Nearly all the hackers surveyed said it ‘doesn’t matter’ how many millions a company spends on its IT security, it is all a waste of time and money if IT security administrators fail to configure and monitor firewalls. Eighty-six per cent of respondents’ felt they could successfully hack into a network via the firewall; a quarter believed they could do so ‘within minutes’, 14 per cent within a few hours. Sixteen per cent say they wouldn’t hack into a firewall even if they could.
  
Validating the frustrating gap between compliance and security, 70 per cent of hackers interviewed do not feel that regulations introduced by governments worldwide to implement privacy, security and process controls has made any difference to their chances of hacking into a corporate network. Of the remaining 30 per cent, half said compliance initiatives have ‘made hacking more difficult’, and 15 per cent believe ‘they’ve made it easier’. More IT sector news

Related news:
Nigella website infected reports ‘whipped up’
Hacker toolkit targets China

More information:
www.tufin.com

Recent articles

Info Message

Our sites use cookies to support some functionality, and to collect anonymous user data.

Learn more about IET cookies and how to control them

Close