All-in-one virtual benchtop for engineers released
VirtualBench integrates a mixed-signal oscilloscope, function generator, digital multimeter, programmable DC power supply and digital input/output
An all-in-one instrument that allows engineers to replace benchtop test equipment with a virtual set up has been released by National Instruments (NI).
VirtualBench integrates a mixed-signal oscilloscope, function generator, digital multimeter, programmable DC power supply and digital input/output and allows users to interact through a software application that runs on a PC, with an iPad app due out this summer.
According to National Instruments, by working with consumer computing platforms the software allows users to take advantage of technologies like multitouch displays, multicore processors, wireless connectivity and intuitive interfaces.
“We are building on what NI does best, which is our software-based approach to test and measurement,” said Chad Chesney, Director of Data Acquisition Marketing at NI. “VirtualBench’s software user experience is more intuitive, creating efficiencies that go above and beyond simply having these five devices in a single device.”
The software will integrate seamlessly with LabVIEW system design software, according to the firm, and provides the most common functionality of physical instrumentation affordably while taking up minimal amounts of space.
“Before, I didn’t have the room or budget to buy a full setup for each bench,” said Russell Stanphil, Electronics Advisor at TechShop. “I can now park one laptop and a VirtualBench on each seat, replacing four to five boxes.”
An E&T Magazine review of National Instruments’ VirtualBench is available here.
"Are you a digital native or an analogue native? The analogue aesthetic is alive and well at work in art, music, fashion and many other aspects of culture"
- Cancer treatment to benefit from 3D Printing
- Online shop to accept only Bitcoin payments
- Interactive engineering exhibition to draw in young people
- Analogue recording: vintage and classic gear for studios
- Photonic computers promise energy-efficient supercomputers
- UK government unveils science strategy
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.