Test oil drill near Shetland exceeds expectations
Hurricane Energy has performed a successful flow test at a prospective oil well west of Shetland [Hurricane Energy]
Oil and gas explorer Hurricane Energy has successfully produced oil from its Lancaster well west of Shetland, a remote area between Scotland and the Faroe islands which holds a fifth of Britain's untapped oil and gas resources.
Hurricane, which listed on London's Alternative Investment Market (AIM) in February, said on Thursday production tests using a pump achieved a flow rate of 9,800 barrels of oil per day, well above expectations.
"I am delighted to report the successful completion of our testing operations which have achieved hydrocarbon flow rates in the upper range of our pre-drill estimates," said chief executive Robert Trice in a statement.
Hurricane specialises in drilling for oil in basement reservoirs, lying beneath the sandstones typically targeted by oil and gas explorers.
Its successful oil flow tests add to Britain's prospects of tapping new oil and gas reserves in the challenging area West of Shetland, which has strong winds and waves and is very deep.
Hurricane, which fully owns the Lancaster well, has suspended the project while it is analysing the data collected during testing.
"This looks to be a good result and we think it should help the company to find a partner if this is the plan," said analysts at Canaccord.
hares in the company were trading 9.7 per cent higher at 32.8 pence at 0724 GMT.
"Our summer watersports special: surfing artificial waves, racing yachts for sport, superyachts for pleasure and much more besides"
- First white laser paves way for new applications
- Brazil-France submarine program investigated for fraud
- Contract for London’s first electric bus fleet confirmed
- New method for tweaking properties of graphene
- 85-year weather forecast to inform building design
- Wing fragment found on Reunion could be from MH370
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]