Lockheed Martin to help South Korea build fighter jet
South Korea wants to add a new jet into its portfolio of domestically built military aircraft [Credit: Aldo Bidini]
South Korea has announced plans to design its own mid-level fighter jet in cooperation with Lockheed Martin.
Dubbed the KF-X programme, the development of the jet is foreseen to cost 8.5 trillion won (£4.81bn).
South Korea’s only jet builder Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) is expected to work on the project together with US defence giant Lockheed Martin with a goal to start commercial deliveries of the two-engine aircraft in 2025.
According to available information, the scope of Lockheed Martin's involvement in the programme is still being negotiated.
Indonesia also participated in earlier studies of the KF-X programme and remains a potential partner, an unnamed source told Reuters.
State-run think tank Korea Institute for Defense Analyses (KIDA) reported earlier this month that a twin-engine version of the fighter jet is expected to cost around 8.5 trillion won.
KAI makes the T-50 family of jets, South Korea's first home-built light trainer and fighter, which was co-developed by Lockheed Martin. South Korea is one of the first customers to buy F-35 fighters from Lockheed Martin.
South Korea's acquisition of 40 Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter jets for around 7.34 trillion won is expected to be finalised in the third quarter. The deal's accompanying offset offer includes Lockheed Martin involvement in the KF-X programme, it has been reported
KAI sold 12 T-50 variants to the Philippines for around $420 million in March, after previously exporting the jets to Iraq and Indonesia.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- Hybrid connected system a step forward for quantum computing
- Type 1 diabetes device is 'step towards artificial pancreas'
- Intelligence agencies at loggerheads with cyber criminals
- Tactile internet: 5G and the Cloud on steroids
- £20m to get UK rid of polluting cabs
- Facebook’s secret drone test flight in the UK
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.