Egypt confirms army to help develop Suez Canal area
A fisherman passes container ships in the Suez Canal, near Ismailia port city, northeast of Cairo
Egypt has confirmed rumours that a consortium including the Egyptian army will develop an industrial and logistics hub in the Suez Canal area.
In January, Egypt invited 14 consortia to bid for the development of 76,000 square kilometres around the canal, a project that was first floated several years ago but never taken further. The project also includes the building of a new channel to run alongside the existing canal.
Earlier this month sources suggested the army’s consortium had won the bid and the government today confirmed that the grouping, which also includes Bahrain-registered engineering firm Dar al-Handasah Shair and Partners, will take the project forward.
The head of the Suez Canal Authority, Mohab Memish, made the announcement at a news conference in Ismailia, a city on the banks of the canal in north west Egypt, attended by Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab.
"The winning consortium to create the master plan for the Suez Canal area development project is the consortium of Dar Al Handasah Shair and Partners, which is registered in Bahrain, in alliance with Dar al-Handasah Egypt," Memish said.
The Egyptian army is a local partner in Dar al-Handasah Egypt through the Armed Forces Engineering Authority, a government source told Reuters previously.
Egypt's Gulf Arab allies have close links to the Egyptian military and have given billions of dollars in aid to the country since the army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Mursi last year.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- Hybrid connected system a step forward for quantum computing
- Type 1 diabetes device is 'step towards artificial pancreas'
- Tactile internet: 5G and the Cloud on steroids
- £20m to get UK rid of polluting cabs
- Facebook’s secret drone test flight in the UK
- Encryption works in favour of terror suspects, says Europol chief
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.