Silent Eagle likely to be Seoul’s fighter of choice
The Boeing F-15 Silent Eagle looks set to be South Korea's next generation fighter jet
South Korea is likely to choose Boeing’s F-15 Silent Eagle as its next generation fighter jet after two other bids went over budget.
Top decision makers in Seoul’s 8.3tn won (£4.8bn) fighter jet tender have briefed the president on the outcome of an assessment process and told her that the F-15SE was the sole eligible bid, a source with knowledge of the process told Reuters today.
The source could not be identified due to the sensitivity of the closed-door meeting, but a spokesman for the Defence Acquisition Program Administration confirmed the meeting had taken place.
The new jets are being acquired to partially replace ageing F-4 and F-5 jets, but according to the source, rivals Lockheed Martin Corp's costlier F-35 stealth fighter and the Eurofighter consortium's Typhoon were both over budget.
Debate has intensified as the tender decision has drawn closer and 15 South Korean former air force chiefs signed a petition in late August opposing the selection of the F-15SE, saying it lacked the stealth capabilities of more modern aircraft.
The closely fought tender will be scrutinised by a final decision-making committee chaired by the defence minister. The committee meeting is expected to be held next week, the DAPA spokesman said, but a date had not been set.
Lockheed Martin and Eurofighter declined to comment on the status of the tender while Boeing said in a written statement that it was waiting for the tender process to be completed.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- Honda tops reliability ranking for ninth consecutive year
- New Horizons images help Nasa tweak probe's Pluto approach
- Artificial photosynthesis used to create valuable chemical products
- Rolls-Royce wins largest engine order in its history
- UCL launches Centre for Engineering Education
- Robots to tackle the gender divide in STEM
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.