Car production for year so far passes one million
Car production for the year so far has reached 1,125,433 according to the SMMT
Car production has topped the one million mark for the year so far, but commercial vehicle (CV) output slumped more than a quarter.
A total of 140,888 cars were built in the UK in September 2013 – 9.9 per cent more than in September last year, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said, taking the year-so-far total to 1,125,433 – up 3.9 per cent on the January-September 2012 total.
But it was a different story with CV production, which dipped 27.5 per cent to 6,963 units last month meaning a total of just 67,609 CVs have been produced in the year to date – down 17.9 per cent on the first nine months of last year.
On the car production figures SMMT chief executive Mike Hawes said: "Boosted by strong domestic demand, September's 9.9 per cent rise in car manufacturing reinforces how the sector is one of the UK's biggest success stories of recent years
"This year alone, more than £2.6bn has been committed across the UK automotive sector, from the supply chain to global car manufacturing brands.
"This long-term financial commitment and robust demand for UK-built products demonstrate the global appetite for high-quality, desirable products borne of the UK's world-class design, research and development and engineering."
But on CV production Hawes said: "CV production remained subdued in September, with continuing uncertainty in the EU and restructuring of UK operations. While the overall market is striving against tough conditions, there remains cause for optimism in some areas, with the truck sector out-performing the market in September."
The SMMT also announced that a total of 230,743 engines were manufactured in September – up 8.3 per cent on the September 2012 figure. Year-to-date growth of 1.2 per cent sees UK engine output approach two million units for 2013.
Prime Minister David Cameron welcomed the news, writing on Twitter: "Great to see a sharp rise in car manufacturing in the UK. More than a million cars have been made so far this year. #GlobalRace".
"How do we balance security with civil liberties and privacy in today's high-tech but violent world? Can our private lives remain truly private?"
- Europe's Spaceport: 35 years and counting...
- Where next for the Internet of things?
- Ex Machina movie asks: is AI research in safe hands?
- IoT: a warning from the future for the Internet of Things
- Cyber-security at the forefront of the World Economic Forum
- Third time unlucky: Air Asia crash calls for emergency locator improvements
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.