BMW recall over power braking failure
Insufficient lubrication to a vacuum pump is causing a loss of power braking in some BMW cars
BMW is recalling about 176,000 of its four-cylinder, petrol vehicles because of potential problems with the power brakes, the company said.
The vehicles, from model years 2012 to 2014, can lose the power assistance in braking because of insufficient lubrication to a vacuum pump and while the driver can still stop the car in the event of a loss of power braking it will take more force on the brake pedal, a BMW US spokesman said.
Models involved in the recall all have turbo-charged four-cylinder, 2L engines that run on petrol. BMW sells many diesel-powered vehicles in Europe, which are not subject to the recall.
Models include the 320i, 328i, 320i xDrive, 328i xDrive sedans from the 2012 to 2014 model years, as well as the 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon; model year 2012 and 2013 528i and 528i xDrive sedans; 2013 and 2014 X1 sDrive28i and X1 xDrive28i vehicles; and model year 2012 to 2014 X4 sDrive28i roadsters.
Of the total recall, 76,191 are in the USA, about 25,000 are in China, 9,376 in Canada, 6,841 in Germany, 2,738 in Mexico and the rest in other countries, BMW said.
BMW in the United States will notify customers in November of the issue, and when a repair is expected to be ready in December, it will tell owners to bring their vehicles in to dealerships for fixing.
"Climate change in Antarctica is leading to interest in extracting the region's natural resources, but there's the small matter of a treaty."
- Promising oil-field discovered in North Sea
- Second Chinese high-speed train maker to bid in California’s tender
- Spanish city tests acoustic sensors in EU future internet project
- US challenges Japan over coal technology exports
- Second ship joins renewed MH370 hunt
- Medical devices under review over cyber-security flaws
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast