Longest double span suspension bridge wins award
The Taizhou Bridge, the world's longest double span suspension bridge, under construction
The world’s longest double span suspension bridge has won the grand prize at The Structural Awards 2013.
The Taizhou Bridge over the Yangtse River in Jiangsu Province, China, has been presented with The Supreme Award for Structural Engineering Excellence, as well as the Award for Highway or Railway Bridge Structures at the annual event organised by The Institution of Structural Engineers.
The bridge, designed by Jiangsu Provincial Communications Planning and Design Institute alongside AECOM Asia Company, is the world’s first long-span, three-tower suspension bridge, with two main spans of 1,080m.
In awarding the prize, the judges said: “This enormous project was an extraordinary achievement, which pushed the frontiers of suspension bridge technology to new heights. Bridge engineering has just moved forward by a very significant margin.”
Winners were announced on Friday, during a ceremony held at the Brewery in London.
President of The Institution of Structural Engineers, Y K Cheng said: “The Institution of Structural Engineers holds The Structural Awards each year to showcase the challenging environments in which engineers work and the complex structures they help to raise.
“The aim is to recognise the range of skills that characterise our global profession, raise awareness among the general public, and encourage young people into structural engineering careers.
“This year we have once again enjoyed a high standard of innovative entries and I congratulate all our winners on their achievements.”
For a full list of winner visit The Structural Awards website.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- £20m to get UK rid of polluting cabs
- Tactile internet: 5G and the Cloud on steroids
- Air-purification unit for cities cuts pollution by 40 per cent
- UK and Norway submerged interconnector to boost green power
- UK’s first commercial drone delivery trial completed
- Gravity-powered lamp for people with no electricity
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.