Longest double span suspension bridge wins award
The Taizhou Bridge, the world's longest double span suspension bridge, under construction
The world’s longest double span suspension bridge has won the grand prize at The Structural Awards 2013.
The Taizhou Bridge over the Yangtse River in Jiangsu Province, China, has been presented with The Supreme Award for Structural Engineering Excellence, as well as the Award for Highway or Railway Bridge Structures at the annual event organised by The Institution of Structural Engineers.
The bridge, designed by Jiangsu Provincial Communications Planning and Design Institute alongside AECOM Asia Company, is the world’s first long-span, three-tower suspension bridge, with two main spans of 1,080m.
In awarding the prize, the judges said: “This enormous project was an extraordinary achievement, which pushed the frontiers of suspension bridge technology to new heights. Bridge engineering has just moved forward by a very significant margin.”
Winners were announced on Friday, during a ceremony held at the Brewery in London.
President of The Institution of Structural Engineers, Y K Cheng said: “The Institution of Structural Engineers holds The Structural Awards each year to showcase the challenging environments in which engineers work and the complex structures they help to raise.
“The aim is to recognise the range of skills that characterise our global profession, raise awareness among the general public, and encourage young people into structural engineering careers.
“This year we have once again enjoyed a high standard of innovative entries and I congratulate all our winners on their achievements.”
For a full list of winner visit The Structural Awards website.
"Climate change in Antarctica is leading to interest in extracting the region's natural resources, but there's the small matter of a treaty."
- Job Centre goes digital
- Google acquires Oxford AI start-ups for DeepMind project
- Queen opens Information Age exhibition at Science Museum
- Promising oil-field discovered in North Sea
- China's lunar return probe carries European radio experiment
- Spanish city tests acoustic sensors in EU future internet project
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast