Longest double span suspension bridge wins award
The Taizhou Bridge, the world's longest double span suspension bridge, under construction
The world’s longest double span suspension bridge has won the grand prize at The Structural Awards 2013.
The Taizhou Bridge over the Yangtse River in Jiangsu Province, China, has been presented with The Supreme Award for Structural Engineering Excellence, as well as the Award for Highway or Railway Bridge Structures at the annual event organised by The Institution of Structural Engineers.
The bridge, designed by Jiangsu Provincial Communications Planning and Design Institute alongside AECOM Asia Company, is the world’s first long-span, three-tower suspension bridge, with two main spans of 1,080m.
In awarding the prize, the judges said: “This enormous project was an extraordinary achievement, which pushed the frontiers of suspension bridge technology to new heights. Bridge engineering has just moved forward by a very significant margin.”
Winners were announced on Friday, during a ceremony held at the Brewery in London.
President of The Institution of Structural Engineers, Y K Cheng said: “The Institution of Structural Engineers holds The Structural Awards each year to showcase the challenging environments in which engineers work and the complex structures they help to raise.
“The aim is to recognise the range of skills that characterise our global profession, raise awareness among the general public, and encourage young people into structural engineering careers.
“This year we have once again enjoyed a high standard of innovative entries and I congratulate all our winners on their achievements.”
For a full list of winner visit The Structural Awards website.
"How do you feel about the Internet of Things, big data, wearables, gamification or self-driving cars? Hyper excited or just plain bored?"
- ‘Safest bike ever’ designed by UK inventor
- New railway signalling system vulnerable to hackers, says expert
- Healthcare and wearable technology: monitoring the connected body
- Contact centres 'missing data analytics advantage'
- India plasma research centre promises sun-like energy
- Inside the Gartner hype cycle
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.