International Innovation Award winners announced by IET
SSTL's and Astrium UK's joint space-based radar NovaSAR was among the winners of this year's IET Innovation Awards [Credit: SSTL]
An online leak detection system for aerosol production, a space based radar and energy recovery systems were among winners of this year’s IET international Innovation Awards.
The winners, chosen from almost 400 entries from 30 countries received their trophies from Tim Campbell, former winner of the BBC’s The Apprentice, at a ceremony in the Brewery in London on Wednesday.
“This year’s competition has been the most international to date. It’s pleasing to see just how companies recognise the value of the IET’s international reach,” said IET president Barry Brooks.
“The winners were picked from a very impressive set of global innovations, and were recognised as the most forward thinking, pioneering advances in their fields.”
Some of the companies, including Team Consulting, OrganOx and Energy Recovery managed to score in more than one category. The UK’s Surrey Satellite Technology won in the Navigation and Surveillance Communication category together with EADS Astrium UK with their NovaSAR Space-Base Radar Imaging System.
The innovative synthetic aperture radar offers improved Earth observation capabilities at about 20 per cent of the cost of conventional radar missions.
“The SSTL and Astrium team is thrilled that our joint efforts on NovaSAR have been recognised with this coveted award,” said Tony Holt, SSTL’s Engineering Director who collected the award at The Brewery in London.
“As the first truly low-cost space radar system, NovaSAR will provide an innovative and affordable space system for the maritime domain,” he said.
The innovation awards are part of the IET’s activities to inspire engineering excellence. Last year, the IET provided over £500,000 to highlight excellence and research in the sector and encourage the next generation of engineers and technicians.
The full list of winners:
- Asset Management – Omnicom Engineering Ltd
- Built Environment – Cooltech Applications
- Communications – Qualcomm
- Consumer Electronics Technology – Wolfson Microelectronics plc
- Emerging Technology Design – Team Consulting Ltd and OrganOx Ltd
- Healthcare Technologies – Team Consulting Ltd and OrganOx Ltd
- Information Technology – Bournemouth University and Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Intelligent Systems – Team Consulting Ltd and OrganOx Ltd
- Measurement in Action – Cascade Technologies Ltd
- Model Based Engineering – CNH Belgium nv
- Navigation & Surveillance Communications – Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd and EADS Astrium UK Ltd
- Power/Energy – Energy Recovery
- Start-up – DCBPower Inc
- Sustainability – Energy Recovery
- Vehicle Technologies – ABB
"There has been a lot of talk about the reported £30bn cost of the Sochi Games, so we go behind the scenes to find out where all that money has been spent"
- 3D Magnetic field rotation of light [10:55 am 09/03/14]
- Repeated Alternator Failure on Power Plant rated 16MVA/ 11,000V using 12x 415V generators [09:01 am 09/03/14]
- IEEE salary survey [04:59 am 09/03/14]
- EMC compliance - retrospective [01:10 pm 08/03/14]
- Microprocessor, integrated circuit Failure Modes IEC61508 [01:03 pm 08/03/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast