- Great Dunmow, Essex
This High Voltage Engineer will provide design leadership for high voltage cable assemblies up to one megavolt.
- Recruiter: Essex X-Ray & Medical Equipment
- London (Greater)
- £25,000 - £30,000 starting salary, inclusive of on-target commissions.
Precision Microdrives (PMD) is a fast growing technology company that designs, produces and trades miniature electro-mechanical mechanisms
- Recruiter: Precision Microdrives
- Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire
We are innovative, robust and fast growing business, whose main focus is to deliver continues improvement to existing products and offer new soluti...
- Recruiter: Helmet Integrated Systems / Gentex Corporation
- Uppsala (Stad) (SE)
The Swedish Institute of Space Institute (IRF) in Uppsala search for an analogue electronics engineer.
- Recruiter: Swedish Institute of Space Physics (IRF)
- Southampton, Hampshire
- £45,271 to £49,207 per annum
Responsible for technical oversight and project management of internally and externally funded innovation centre projects.
- Recruiter: National Oceanographic Centre
- Cumbernauld, Glasgow
- Grade: 6/7* £26,537 - £37,768*
Work as part of a growing dynamic team on a wide range of technical projects with particular emphasis on experimental validation and testing
- Recruiter: University of Strathclyde
- Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Mott MacDonald's highly successful Water and Environment Unit is recruiting an electrical engineer....
- Recruiter: Mott MacDonald
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Mott MacDonald's highly successful water business continues to win and deliver a fantastic amount of work....
- Recruiter: Mott MacDonald
- Competitive Salary & Benefits
Whats the opportunity? Opportunity to join a very dynamic, responsive and multinational Launcher team, focussed on rapid development, proving and manufacture to meet challenging programme...
- Recruiter: MBDA
- Scotland, Glasgow
Technical Design Authority - Marine Systems (Mechanical) Would you like to play an exciting and varied role working with the River Class Batch 2 (RCB2) vessels for the Royal Navy? We currently have a vacancy for a Technical Design Authority - Marine Syste
- Recruiter: BAE Systems
Volvo launches voice-activated in-car Spotify app
The voice activated music system is integrated into the dashboard (credit Volvo)
Volvo and Spotify have teamed up to launch an integrated voice-controlled music system.
The new system, which is both voice-activated and touch-enabled, allows drivers to stream music with a 3G/4G dongle or via the driver's mobile phone connection through their dashboard.
Drivers will be able to play any track from the digital music service they want by saying its name, while its 7in display is a state-of-the-art infrared, beam-scanned touchscreen.
The new technology, which is integrated into the dashboard via Volvo's Sensus Connected Touch technology, was developed in response to demand from drivers for consumption of music on the road, Volvo said.
The company said it is easier and safer to use while driving, as drivers can access and operate the music system via the steering wheel and centre stack controls, without taking their eyes off the road or their hands off the steering wheel.
The system is based on Android technology, which allows it to be regularly upgraded.
Other apps accessible via Sensus Connected Touch include Google maps, TuneIn, iGO navigation and an app store for new functions and updates.
Internet data can also be transferred via a Wi-Fi network, between the mobile phone and Sensus Connected Touch and the Wi-Fi network can be shared with everyone in the car when using a dongle.
Sensus is the name Volvo uses for all its HMI (Human Machine Interface) functionality and Sensus Connected Touch is a dealer-fitted accessory.
It goes on sale in May this year and can be fitted in all new Volvos as well as being retrofitted in some used cars built from 2011 onwards.
"The intuitive user interface, a very rapid browser response and the wide choice of around 20 functions and apps are benefits that make Sensus Connected Touch outstanding compared with our main competitors' solutions," said Håkan Hellman, product manager, Infotainment and Connectivity, Volvo.
The development of Sensus Connected Touch gained momentum late in 2011 when Volvo started sourcing a powerful hardware platform with first-class functional and graphical features and the capacity to handle future expansion.
The Sensus Connected Touch allows the user access to:
- Full Internet browsing (not available when driving), which allows Java, HTML 5, animations and moving pictures/films.
- Internet streaming of music including Spotify and Deezer.
- Internet radio (TuneIn and Live Radio) with thousands of channels from all over the world.
- On-line Google map and search.
- Embedded connected 3D navigation with online traffic info and dangerous zone warnings.
- Free parking locator and weather information.
- A number of native and web applications. Applications in the driver's mobile phone can be "mirrored" in the car's display when using the Parrot Smart Link App.
- Appstore for new functions & updates.
- A Volvo service locator.
"Roadtrip is another great feature that can read out Wikipedia information about interesting points along the route via the audio system," Hellman said.
"We visit Barcelona, one of the smartest cities in the world, to find out what makes it so special. What does it look like and what is the future?"
- Robot biker challenges MotoGP champ Valentino Rossi
- De-cluttering robot shows unexpected creativity
- Transparent wood capabilities boosted with epoxy
- Barcelona: the world’s smartest city?
- Turning sunlight into heat doubles solar cell efficiency
- Hubble Telescope picture depicts detailed Martian landscape