Brazil orders 1,000 JCB backhoe loaders
JCB has secured an order worth £40 million from the Brazilian government
Construction giant JCB has secured a £40m order from the Brazilian government for more than 1,000 backhoe loaders, the world-renowned digger which made the company famous.
The contract will be handled at JCB's new factory in Sao Paulo but will also bring benefits to its transmissions and axles factory in Wrexham and its headquarters in Rocester, Staffordshire.
Now sold in 120 countries, JCB's backhoe loader was first made in Rocester in 1953 and recently achieved a 500,000-production milestone.
The 1,000 machines ordered by Brazil's ministry of agrarian development will be put to work improving rural roads to ensure food produced for sale gets to market quicker.
A similar number were delivered to the same customer last year.
JCB chief executive Alan Blake said it is an important deal for JCB: "It is huge testament to the quality and versatility of JCB's backhoe loaders and it's fantastic to win an order of this size as we celebrate 60 years of backhoe loader production this year."
Current production rates see one backhoe machine roll off one of the company's manufacturing lines every three minutes.
Despite the maturity of the backhoe loader, it is still one of the world's biggest selling pieces of construction machinery.
"This issue we honour a national hero, and the subject of Benedict Cumberbatch's latest film, codebreaker Alan Turing"
- £3.2bn engine order to help Rolls-Royce through lean years
- Hacking major threat to driverless vehicle adoption
- China could shutdown critical US infrastructure, says NSA chief
- Radioactivity leak in nuclear plant fire blamed on safety failings
- Only 1 per cent of new car buyers would consider going electric
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.