Sony reveals waterproof “phablet”
The Xperia Z Ultra is waterproof up to a depth of 1.5m in freshwater for up to 30 minutes (CREDIT: Sony)
Sony has revealed a waterproof smartphone with a 6.4in screen to take on Samsung in the “phablet" market.
The Japanese firm says the new Android-powered Xperia Z Ultra has the world’s largest full HD smartphone display and is the world’s slimmest large screened-phone with the body measuring just 6.5mm and weighing 212g.
And the device is even capable of filming in full HD underwater, with the phone waterproof up to a depth of 1.5m in freshwater for up to 30 minutes as long as all ports and covers are firmly closed.
“The Xperia Z Ultra is the most exciting revolution in large-screen smartphone entertainment devices with both the slimmest and largest Full HD smartphone display in the world that is second to none,” says Calum MacDougall, Director of Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications.
“We’re already bringing the best of Sony technology and design across a range of premium smartphones and tablets, and now we are bringing this same premium offering to the large-screen smartphone segment, setting a new standard for others to follow.”
The Z Ultra is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with 2.2 GHz quad-core CPUs, 4GLTE and HD voice.
And the screen, which features handwriting recognition, can accept sketches or notes written using a standard pencil or metal-tipped pen in addition to the optional stylus.
"Climate change in Antarctica is leading to interest in extracting the region's natural resources, but there's the small matter of a treaty."
- Job Centre goes digital
- Google acquires Oxford AI start-ups for DeepMind project
- China's lunar return probe carries European radio experiment
- Queen opens Information Age exhibition at Science Museum
- Promising oil-field discovered in North Sea
- Spanish city tests acoustic sensors in EU future internet project
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast