Asian manufacturers top used car reliability ranking
Japanese car maker Honda has been named the most reliable car manufacturer in the UK for the eight year in a row
Honda is the most reliable used car manufacturer in the UK for the eighth consecutive year, according to new research.
The Japanese brand topped the survey of 38 manufacturers and 50,000 live Warranty Direct policies on three to eight-year old vehicles by What Car? and Warranty Direct for the eighth year in a row.
Once again, Asian manufacturers dominated the study of the most reliable brands, with Suzuki and Hyundai second and third behind Honda. Only Chevrolet and Ford break the Far Eastern stranglehold of the top 10.
At the other end of the scale, luxury and prestige marques Bentley, Land Rover and Porsche are the most likely to break down – 86 per cent of Bentleys suffer a problem each year, making it Britain’s least dependable car maker.
What Car? editor-in-chief Chas Hallett said: “Honda’s success in the reliability stakes is down to low failure rates, and when cars do go wrong they’re easy and cheap to fix.
“Reliability is one of the key attributes that buyers look for when looking to make a used purchase, so manufacturers that can demonstrate that quality will always fare well.
“The manufacturers at the bottom end of the table could learn a thing or two from their Japanese counterparts.”
Overall, the most reliable models are the Mitsubishi Lancer and Vauxhall Agila, both of which also star as the cheapest to repair.
The least reliable model is the Audi RS6 but the iconic Porsche 911 is the most expensive to fix, with an eye-watering average repair bill of £1157.04.
Electrical faults are the most common across all cars, with almost a quarter (23.5 per cent) needing a visit to the garage in an average year. Axle and suspension faults are also common, affecting 22 per cent of cars.
Warranty Direct managing director Duncan McClure Fisher said: “Household budgets are already strained, so the last thing you want is a vehicle that costs you yet more unwanted bills.
“That is why it pays to research cars before you buy; make the wrong choice and you could land yourself with a car that causes you nothing but hassle and money.”
The results were based on Warranty Direct’s reliability index which takes account How often a car needs repairing and how much it will cost.
"How do we balance security with civil liberties and privacy in today's high-tech but violent world? Can our private lives remain truly private?"
- Europe's Spaceport: 35 years and counting...
- Where next for the Internet of things?
- Ex Machina movie asks: is AI research in safe hands?
- IoT: a warning from the future for the Internet of Things
- Cyber-security at the forefront of the World Economic Forum
- Third time unlucky: Air Asia crash calls for emergency locator improvements
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.