Electrolux Design Lab competition open for entries
L-R: 2012 winner Jan Ankiersztajn with Thomas Johansson, design director of Electrolux.
2013 sees the Electrolux Design Lab competition, which asks students to submit new design concepts, return for its 11th year.
Electrolux Design Lab 2013 calls on design students worldwide to compete for a six-month paid internship and €5,000 by submitting ideas for a design solution that considers evolving challenges set to shape our future.
This year’s theme, entitled Inspired Urban Living, has been influenced by the growth of urbanisation, where space is becoming limited as an increasing number of the population shift from living in open rural locations into densely populated areas. The question to be answered is what role can design play to ensure that we are prepared and equipped for this social adaptation?
For the first time the competition is offering the applicants three focus areas to choose from within the theme of urbanisation, these are social cooking, natural air and effortless cleaning. Plus this year the brief goes beyond the traditional industrial design category and includes consumables and services.
As well as the top prize, a second prize of €3,000 and third prize of €2,000 is also up for grabs, and the public favourite chosen by online votes will be awarded €1,000.
The submission deadline for the first competition stage, a concept description and a sketch, is 15 March. For more information visit the Design Lab blog.
"Climate change in Antarctica is leading to interest in extracting the region's natural resources, but there's the small matter of a treaty."
- First sun-powered hydrogen refuelling station opens in UK
- Offshore windfarm scaled back due to low subsidy budget
- New software to investigate Alzheimer's detection
- Mobile data more accurate than census, says study
- One atom thin material turns motion into electricity
- Watershed moment for wearables this Christmas, says Samsung
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast