£1m competition to fund robotics innovation
Universities and Science Minister David Willetts
The Technology Strategy Board (TSB) has announced a £1million initiative to help stimulate developments in robotics and autonomous systems.
The brief encompasses a number of research areas within the control and automation sector, including food and beverage, robot-to-human interaction, sensor development and selected areas of manufacturing.
Announcing the competition at an Intellect event in January, Huw Davies, Technology Lead (Electronics) at the TSB, said that the scope was wide-ranging, covering most areas, though not robots for unmanned aircraft.
Grants up to a maximum of £133,000 will be awarded to collaborative SME-led teams to carry out technical feasibility studies into early-stage and novel concepts as a precursor to larger R&D projects.
The object of the competition is to stimulate innovation in the control, automation, robotics and manufacturing industry.
Defence, aerospace, manufacturing, transport, and consumer goods sectors could all benefit from commercialisation of successful ideas.
“This investment will give innovative UK companies the time and space they need to develop robotics and autonomous systems,” said Universities and Science Minister David Willetts.
“This is an exciting technology area that could make a real difference to a range of sectors, such as high value manufacturing.”
The competition closes on 21 March.
See the TSB website
"Climate change in Antarctica is leading to interest in extracting the region's natural resources, but there's the small matter of a treaty."
- Start-up builds Back to the Future style hoverboard
- Expansion of drones pose security and privacy risk
- Electric aircraft take off, as Europe leads the way
- Titanium dioxide to cut Li-ion battery charging times to minutes
- Didcot power station fire won’t hit supplies
- Space-based solar power: the new space race
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast