India announces mission to Mars in 2013
Indian President Pranab Mukherjeesaid has announced that his country will launch its first mission to Mars this year (Credit: NASA)
India will launch its first mission to Mars this year in a bid to play catch up in the global space race, according to President Pranab Mukherjeesaid.
The country will send a satellite in October via an unmanned spacecraft to orbit the red planet, blasting off from the south-eastern coast in a mission expected to cost about $83m, scientists who are part of the mission say.
"Several space missions are planned for 2013, including India's first mission to Mars and the launch of our first navigational satellite," Mukherjee told parliament today.
The spacecraft, which will be made in India, will take nine months to reach Mars and then launch itself in an elliptical orbit about 310 miles from the planet.
"The mission is ready to roll," Deviprasad Karnik, a scientist from the India Space Research Organisation, said by phone from the city of Bangalore.
India's mission to Mars has drawn criticism in a country suffering from high levels of malnutrition and power shortages, and currently experiencing its worst slowdown in growth in ten years, but India has long argued that technology developed in its space programme has practical applications to everyday life.
India's space exploration programme began in 1962. Five years ago, its Chandrayaan satellite found evidence of water on the Moon. India is now looking at landing a wheeled rover on the Moon in 2014.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- Tactile internet: 5G and the Cloud on steroids
- £20m to get UK rid of polluting cabs
- Facebook’s secret drone test flight in the UK
- UK’s first commercial drone delivery trial completed
- Air-purification unit for cities cuts pollution by 40 per cent
- UK and Norway submerged interconnector to boost green power
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.