Roke launch hi-tech portable military 3G basestation
Roke's SmartLink 3G basestation
Roke Manor Research has launched the world's only man-portable, 9.3 miles range, military-grade private 3G basestation.
The firm claims the SmartLink device is a third of the weight of other like-for-like tactical cellular systems, a fifth of the size and uses half the power, maximising battery life.
It is also the world's first man-portable 3G base station to have up to a 9.3 miles range and will continue to operate when the user is travelling at speeds of up to 75mph.
Greg Moore, business sector manager at Roke Manor Research, said: "Unlike current solutions, SmartLink provides all the benefits of a deployable wide-area cellular network whilst maintaining on the move capabilities due to being small, lightweight and low power.
“Roke's proven pedigree in electronic warfare and force protection technology means that SmartLink brings the benefits of cellular technology while preserving the resilience of traditional military communications."
Once the SmartLink base station is switched on, mobile phones with the private network's SIM will work immediately. By providing a self-contained, dedicated 3G network, which is upgradable to 4G, SmartLink extends the communications range on rapid deployments, where no local infrastructure exists.
The device supports a variety of high bandwidth communications, such as voice, SMS, IP data and video streaming, whilst being robust to accidental and intentional interference.
SmartLink is fully upgradable to include features such as spectrum agility, to make greater bandwidth available to users; security and resilience enhancements; re-banded communications; and range and mobility extensions.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- Hybrid connected system a step forward for quantum computing
- Type 1 diabetes device is 'step towards artificial pancreas'
- Intelligence agencies at loggerheads with cyber criminals
- Tactile internet: 5G and the Cloud on steroids
- £20m to get UK rid of polluting cabs
- Facebook’s secret drone test flight in the UK
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.