Samsung considering Hynix chips for mobile products
Samsung has largely depended on internal supplies of memory chips for its Galaxy range of smartphones
Samsung is considering purchasing mobile memory chips from rival SK Hynix for future products including its new flagship Galaxy S smartphone to be launched this month, J.K. Shin, head of Samsung's mobile business, said.
A supply deal would be a boost to SK Hynix, which relies heavily on Apple Inc as a customer for its mobile dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips.
It also points to tightening chip supplies as mobile gadget makers prepare to upgrade their flagship product lines with greater variety and increased memory storage capacity.
Prices of mobile DRAM chips have increased steadily since early this year, reflecting a tightening supply outlook.
Samsung, the world's biggest maker of DRAM chips, has largely depended on internal supplies of memory chips for its Galaxy range of smartphones, but the market has expected it may also begin looking to outside chip suppliers to ensure no supply disruptions for key models of its Galaxy S smartphone.
The Galaxy S4, which will go on sale later this month, is expected to outsell its predecessors, with monthly sales of about 10 million, and could leapfrog past Apple's iPhone which recaptured the top spot in global smartphone sales in the fourth quarter, analysts said.
Shares in Hynix dropped 2.8 per cent this week as Apple suppliers were hit by concerns of weaker demand from the iPhone and iPad maker, after a disappointing revenue forecast by one of its suppliers.
Shares in LG Display, which makes flat screens for Apple's iPhone and iPad, tumbled 4.3 per cent.
"Even the smallest of creatures in the most far-flung places around the world are getting wired up for tracking"
- USB offers hackers direct route to computers
- Nearly 15 per cent of UK electricity from renewables
- Attack on Canada’s research body linked to ‘Putter Panda’
- Ferrybridge power station tower collapses in fire
- BlackBerry to buy encryption tech developer
- Future Martian rover to pave way for human mission
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast