Community co-operative formed to fund hydro plant
A community project is hoping to build a hydropower plant at Harlaw Reservoir in Balerno, south-west of Edinburgh (CREDIT: Mike Beeson)
A newly-formed co-operative is trying to raise more than £300,000 to generate clean, renewable energy from a reservoir.
Community project Harlaw Hydro hopes to harness the waters of Harlaw Reservoir in Balerno, south-west of Edinburgh, by replacing a former hydropower installation that dates back to the early 1900s and connecting it to the national grid.
More than £90,000 has already been pledged to the venture, which is being supported by The Co-operative Enterprise Hub and follows a near 10 per cent increase in such enterprises over the past two years.
Michael Fairclough, The Co-operative's head of community and co-operative investment, said: "There is significant potential for community-owned renewable energy to deliver local economic and social benefits while helping to hit national energy needs and climate change goals.
"Enabling people to control, generate and benefit from their own renewable energy can contribute to a step-change in people's thinking about energy and provide a catalyst for a clean energy revolution across the country."
"This issue we honour a national hero, and the subject of Benedict Cumberbatch's latest film, codebreaker Alan Turing"
- Snooper's charter ‘dead and buried’ but police to get new Internet powers
- Complex cyber-spying malware uncovered by researchers
- Hackers access thousands of web cams as passwords weak
- Volcanic ash detector fitted to long-haul jet
- Hacking major threat to driverless vehicle adoption
- Scientists give LEDs a warm glow
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.