China's first carrier to undergo high seas voyage
The incomplete Varyag, the future Liaoning, under tow in Istanbul in 2001
China will send its first aircraft carrier on its first high seas voyage within a year, said state-run news agency Xinhua.
The Liaoning, purchased used from Ukraine in 1998 and refurbished in China, has conducted more than 100 exercises and experiments since it was commissioned last year, Xinhua said today, but the news agency did not say where the Liaoning would go or for how long.
The carrier has been conducting training manoeuvres since it arrived at its east coast home port of Qingdao in February and although considered decades behind US technology, the Liaoning represents the Chinese navy's blue-water ambitions and has been the focus of a campaign to stir patriotism.
"To date, all the tests have been going smoothly, and the Qingdao home port has been proven capable of berthing and supporting the carrier", Xinhua said. "It will undergo further tests, including ocean-going trials and flight-landing exercises under the schedule."
The carrier has been the most visible of China's efforts for more than a year to build up military hardware, including test flying two prototype versions of stealth fighter jets – one of which is believed capable on landing on aircraft carriers.
Last year, China also unveiled its first attack helicopter and a range of drone aircraft it hopes to export.
In November a US government commission said it believed that within two years, Chinese submarines would be capable of deploying nuclear weapons.
China is alone among the original nuclear weapons states to be expanding its nuclear forces, according to the report by the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission.
"Immigration is no longer the elephant in the room. These days, everyone is talking about it. They are just not saying all the right things."
- Honda tops reliability ranking for ninth consecutive year
- New Horizons images help Nasa tweak probe's Pluto approach
- Artificial photosynthesis used to create valuable chemical products
- Rolls-Royce wins largest engine order in its history
- UCL launches Centre for Engineering Education
- Robots to tackle the gender divide in STEM
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.