Singapore Airport to build fourth terminal
Aerial view of Singapore Changi Airport and runways (centre) with the Changi Air Base and its single runway on the right
Construction will start in the fourth quarter of 2013 with completion scheduled for the first quarter of 2017. The facility will go into operation later that year with a passenger handling capacity of 16 million, raising the airport’s overall capacity to 82 million.
Termimal 4 will be built on the site of the Budget Terminal, which was demolished in October 2012.
A statement from Changi Airport Group said the new facility will have 160,000sq metres [m2] of floor space and will serve both regional full-service and low-cost airlines. It will be used mainly for narrow-body aircraft operations to allow quick turnaround of flights.
An overhead bridge will be built across the airport concourse to transport passengers from the terminal to the aircraft stands.
The new terminal will have centralised departure and immigration control, self-tagging and self bag drops, and a fully automated bag sorting system.
In a separate development the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has confirmed plans to have a third runway operational by the end of 2020. It will be located on land reclaimed from the sea and will be redeveloped from an existing runway that is currently used by the military.
Changi Airport is carrying out a study into the need for a fourth runway to cater for growing traffic after 2030.
CAAS has earmarked a 1,080ha site for the construction of a mega terminal as well as supporting facilities by the mid 2020s. Plans are expected to be finalised and unveiled later this year.
Changi Airport handled 51.2 million passengers in 2012, an increase of 10 per cent over the previous year.
"How do you feel about the Internet of Things, big data, wearables, gamification or self-driving cars? Hyper excited or just plain bored?"
- ‘Safest bike ever’ designed by UK inventor
- New railway signalling system vulnerable to hackers, says expert
- Contact centres 'missing data analytics advantage'
- Healthcare and wearable technology: monitoring the connected body
- India plasma research centre promises sun-like energy
- Inside the Gartner hype cycle
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.