UK construction sector declined in September
Building industry output declined last month.
Britain’s construction sector continued to decline in September, a survey showed today, as residential building saw its biggest fall in nearly two years.
The Markit/CIPS survey recorded a reading of 49.5 in September, which is an improvement on the previous month's reading of 49 but still represents a decline in output as it falls below the no-change 50 mark.
Residential building was the worst performing category, continuing the trend seen throughout most of 2012, registering the worst drop since December 2010.
Commercial building also dropped at its fastest rate for just over two and a half years, although a return to civil engineering growth helped soften the overall downturn.
Economists said the figures knocked confidence that the nation's builders would eke out growth in the third quarter after dragging on the wider economy for a several months running.
Howard Archer, chief UK and European economist at IHS Global Insight, said: "The construction sector continues to be hampered by major headwinds, notably including public spending cuts, a weak economy, a struggling housing sector, and problems in getting funding for large-scale projects."
"How do we balance security with civil liberties and privacy in today's high-tech but violent world? Can our private lives remain truly private?"
- Europe's Spaceport: 35 years and counting...
- Where next for the Internet of things?
- Ex Machina movie asks: is AI research in safe hands?
- IoT: a warning from the future for the Internet of Things
- Third time unlucky: Air Asia crash calls for emergency locator improvements
- Cyber-security at the forefront of the World Economic Forum
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.