British Gas recruiting 1,000 smart energy experts
British Gas is recruiting smart energy experts
British Gas is to recruit 1,000 new workers over the next two years under a programme to roll out ‘smart’ technologies across the country.
The new workers will undertake the firm's apprenticeship training programme before joining the 1,200 field-based staff already working on energy efficiency schemes.
The recruits will help replace meters with ones that give information on energy use in homes and businesses.
British Gas managing director Phil Bentley said: "Today, more than ever, Britain needs investment from strong, innovative companies like British Gas in jobs, technology and new skills. The British Gas apprenticeship programme for Smart Energy Experts shows our commitment to growing the green economy.
"Our customers will see the benefits too. Every one of our Smart Energy Experts is focused on helping our customers improve their energy efficiency and save money."
Energy and Climate Change Secretary Edward Davey said: "I'm delighted that British Gas is taking on more apprentices to help their customers lower their bills by using energy more efficiently.
"The roll-out of smart meters to homes and businesses is just one of the ways in which the government is modernising the way we generate and use energy. It is great to see energy efficiency policy and innovation creating new job opportunities in the UK."
"This issue we honour a national hero, and the subject of Benedict Cumberbatch's latest film, codebreaker Alan Turing"
- £3.2bn engine order to help Rolls-Royce through lean years
- Hacking major threat to driverless vehicle adoption
- China could shutdown critical US infrastructure, says NSA chief
- Radioactivity leak in nuclear plant fire blamed on safety failings
- Only 1 per cent of new car buyers would consider going electric
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.