- Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top 20 institutions of higher education.....
- Recruiter: The University of Edinburgh
- Bristol, England / Cumbria, Barrow-In-Furness, England
Principal Electrical Engineer - Power Join our Electrical Power team and help design the self-contained generation and distribution system for the Successor submarine - a new generation of submarine designed to carry the UK's independent nuclear deterrent
- England, Cambridgeshire
- £33000 - £39000 per annum
Operations Supervisor - (Mechanical/Electrical/Instrumentation) Salary: Circa £33k - 39k dependant on experience + vehicle and great additional benefits (share scheme, pension, potential bonus).Location: Wisbech - Cambridgeshire We currently have an excit
- Recruiter: National Grid
- England, Lancashire
- Competitive package
Would you like to be involved with training UK and international teams in Non Destructive Inspection (NDI) to support the in service fleet (Typhoon Tornado, and Hawk)?
- Competitive Salary & Benefits
What?s the opportunity? There are fantastic opportunities in Systems Design for engineers to work within Future Systems. These are highly visible, fast paced roles, in...
- Recruiter: MBDA
- Teddington, United Kingdom
- £24,109 - £27,961 plus EO Electronics PE of £8,090.00
We are now looking for a Metering Engineer to deliver RD’s In-Service Testing (IST) scheme for gas and electricity meters.
- Recruiter: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Zurich, Canton of Zürich (CH)
The successful candidate is expected to develop a strong and visible research programme in the area of control and diagnostics of building systems
- Recruiter: ETH Zurich
- Humber Refinery, South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire DN40 3DW
- £60k - 75k plus extensive Compensation and benefits package, dependent upon experience
Experienced Process Control Leader providing leadership and technical support for Oil Refinery. Extensive Compensation and benefits package.
- Recruiter: Phillips 66
- Warwick, Warwickshire
You will be required to lead the regional Customer Services strategy and resources to maximise Customer satisfaction.
- Recruiter: Siemens
- Shropshire, England, Telford
PLM Engineer (Product Lifecycle Management) Would you like a varied role that involves working across all engineering functions within BAE Systems Land UK? We currently have a vacancy for a PLM Engineer at our site in Telford with occasional travel within
Smart power strips for simple home automation
A Texas company has invented a family of intelligent USB-connected and PC-programmable power strips.
Called PwrUSB, the smart power strips resemble unusually fat four-way mains extension cables, but at heart are general purpose versions of industrial controllers.
The simplest strip features relays on every socket, giving each its own default power state. Used with software on the host, the $70 device can intelligently switch devices on or off, both for power saving and as part of a home automation project.
For instance, it can be configured to switch on the printer automatically when an application needs to use it, thus reducing 'vampire power', or to turn off the monitor and speakers when the computer is powered down.
Other versions add more features. One is programmable for on/off times, for instance, while another reports power consumption and a third watches for a "heartbeat" from an attached computer, router, etc. If none is seen, it assumes the device has died or locked up and automatically hard-reboots it.
PowerUSB, the eponymous company behind PwrUSB, offers its control software in Linux, Mac and Windows. The main drawback is that, for the moment at least, PwrUSB is only available with US sockets. They are specified for 100-250v though, and PowerUSB said they will work elsewhere, given a supply of plug adapters.
"As the dust settles after the referendum result, we consider what happens next. We also look forward to an international summer of sport."
- HMS Ambush submarine crashes into ship, again
- Tesla’s 'Master Plan' future for self-driving cars and solar power
- Fishing drone flies 2km out to sea and brings home its catch
- Coffee and donuts in first US commercial drone delivery
- Flight MH370 search to be suspended, relatives informed
- Chip and pin compromised by hackers 'within a year'