Draeger Safety overall winner at manufacturing awards
Draeger Safety was named the overall winner at the Manufacturing Excellence Awards 2012.
A safety technology manufacturer was named the Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ Overall Winner at the Manufacturing Excellence Awards 2012.
Draeger Safety UK also won the Financial Management category and the Professional Engineering Award for Logistics and Operational Efficiency.
The Institution of Mechanical Engineers head of manufacturing Philippa Oldham, who was also one of the judges, said: “Draeger Safety UK is an example of what can be achieved through ambition and commitment. The company’s focus on customer service and quality was what impressed the judges, along with the management of the company’s onsite processes and procedures which we judged to be first-class.”
Malcolm Irving, head of operations region Europe at Draeger Safety UK said: “We are delighted to win the overall Manufacturing Excellence Award. It is clearly a fantastic achievement for the business and our people and demonstrates the high standards and the commitment to manufacturing excellence we implement across the organisation. This was genuinely a team effort, supported by and with input from every area of our business.
“We were nominated alongside some great businesses and it is very important to acknowledge the success manufacturing continues to have at a local, regional and national level across the UK, despite the continued difficult economic climate.”
As part of the Manufacturing Excellence programme, run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, companies are asked to conduct an in-depth self assessment of their business. Those who complete one or more of the eight sections receive a free, bespoke and confidential benchmark report. The best companies in each module receive a free visit from a team of expert assessors who verify the audit responses and offer practical advice and suggestions for the business. After further judging, the winners are announced in November at the awards ceremony.
Other award winners were:
- Printing technologies manufacturer FFEI Ltd, based in Hemel Hempstead, which was presented with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ Award for Best Small to Medium Enterprise;
- Letchworth’s flooring manufacturer Altro Ltd which won the AESSEAL Award for Customer Focus and the Arup Award for Sustainable Manufacturing;
- HK Timbers, the vegetable storage box manufacturer based in Lincolnshire which picked up the CBI Award for Most Improved Company;
- Bolton-based missiles and defence systems manufacturer MBDA which won The ERA Foundation Award for Best Partnership with Education and the WMG Award for People Effectiveness;
- Staffordshire’s smart battery manufacturer Accutronics which won the Lombard Award for Innovation in Products and Processes;
- Torquay-based two-shot plastic injection moulding manufacturer Hymid Multi-Shot which won the Award for Business Development and Change Management.
Oldham said: “With all of the Manufacturing Excellence winners, their success is a result of delivering the right solutions at the right price to customers – whether that be breathing apparatuses, defence systems or vegetable boxes.
“The winners also illustrate the huge range of manufacturing industries that are thriving in the UK today.
“UK manufacturing employs about 2.5 million people in the UK and manufacturers, like this year’s Manufacturing Excellence winners, have the ability to bolster the country’s economy.
“But if we want to see more UK manufacturing success stories the Government must act now to provide a clear industrial strategy – with cross-party support - which prioritises skills, innovation and growth.”
Manufacturing Excellence 2012 is run in partnership with the ERA Foundation, Lombard and WMG, and is sponsored by Arup and supported by the CBI.
"Power cuts might seem like a 1970s fad, but they could be on the way back. How can we prevent them happening again?"
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast