IET says Energy Bill must not offer ‘piecemeal solutions’
The Institution of Engineering and Technology’s (IET) leading energy expert is calling for the government's forthcoming Energy Bill to demonstrate holistic, joined-up thinking rather than offering piecemeal solutions.
Simon Harrison, chair of the IET Energy Policy Panel, said: “The Energy Bill needs to deal with short-term capacity concerns (over the next two to 10 years) and enable the transformation to a low carbon energy system over the short- and long-term.
“It needs to demonstrate systems thinking rather than piecemeal solutions. A key aspect of the Bill must be some clarity of market arrangements to incentivise gas power plants in the short-term.
“It must also include appropriate arrangements to bring clarity to new nuclear and enable construction to proceed whilst giving a reasonable deal to consumers. There need to be clear statements of intent for the major renewables, including visibility of quantity for each technology to be built by 2020.
“Plus arrangements to incentivise demand participation and storage in the future energy system, and the demonstration of carbon capture and storage at scale. The all-important ‘systems thinking’ needs to include the modernisation of Britain's electricity networks: the power 'transport system' is a key enabler for achieving effective outcomes for consumers in a lower carbon world."
The Energy Bill is expected by the end of November.
"Who's getting the best engineering education? And what did your careers advisor suggest you do when you leave school?"
- BT hits 1 Gbit/s with combination of copper and fibre
- Stonehenge: digital mapping reveals the true picture
- Engineers to command top starting salaries, says guide
- Don't ignore Shellshock bug, says data protection watchdog
- Londoners would give up children to connect to WiFi
- Esa to test-fly experimental space plane
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.
Tune into our latest podcast