WiFi coming to first London Underground stations
First London Underground stations named for WiFiCredit: Virgin Media
The first London Underground stations that will have free WiFi over the summer have been announced.
Oxford Circus, Stratford, Liverpool Street, Leicester Square and King's Cross will be among the first to launch the service, with around 80 stations WiFi enabled by the end of July.
Virgin Media’s next generation WiFi service will be made available to all tube passengers for free throughout the summer. However after the summer, Virgin Media’s portal for the latest travel news and London information will be available, but full internet access will be on a pay as you go basis, Virgin Media said.
London Underground director of strategy and service development Gareth Powell said: "Our customers will soon be able to connect to the internet for live travel information while they are on the move through stations.
"Bringing a next-generation WiFi service to one of the world's oldest underground transport networks is progressing as planned and the forthcoming service is testing well.
"The first stations include some of our busiest and most well-known destinations and we're on-track for a successful launch this summer - all delivered at no additional cost to farepayers or taxpayers."
Jon James, executive director of broadband at Virgin Media, said: "In partnership with TfL, we've been working around the clock to install and test WiFi on London Underground and are about to connect some iconic and world-famous Tube stations with a WiFi service London will be proud of."
"This issue we honour a national hero, and the subject of Benedict Cumberbatch's latest film, codebreaker Alan Turing"
- Snooper's charter ‘dead and buried’ but police to get new Internet powers
- Complex cyber-spying malware uncovered by researchers
- Hackers access thousands of web cams as passwords weak
- Volcanic ash detector fitted to long-haul jet
- Hacking major threat to driverless vehicle adoption
- Geoengineering is scary business, scientist admits
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.