South Korea makes arrests after 8.7 million KT users hacked
An employee at KT Corp works at the company's headquarters in Seoul
South Korean police have arrested two computer programmers on suspicion of hacking personal data of 8.7 million KT subscribers.
KT Corp, South Korea's No. 2 wireless service provider, has apologised after million of mobile phobe subscribers had their personal data hacked.
It is the latest in a string of large-scale personal information hacking cases in one of the world's most wired countries.
KT claims a mobile service subscription membership of 16 million.
Police were also investigating seven others suspected of having purchased and used the hacked KT data, which included names, resident registration numbers and phone numbers.
"We deeply apologise for worrying you," KT said in a statement, adding that it had blocked any further illegal access to data.
The hacking began in February.
In November, more than 13 million subscribers of Nexon Korea Corp, a leading game developer, fell victim to a hacking attack.
Months before the Nexon Korea case, information of up to 35 million users of an internet portal and blogging site operated by SK Comms, the country's top mobile service provider, was attacked by hackers from China
"Are you a digital native or an analogue native? The analogue aesthetic is alive and well at work in art, music, fashion and many other aspects of culture"
- Eurotunnel to launch 4G services
- Cheapest way to bleach clouds to fight climate change
- Health benefits for elderly using social media, study says
- Climate guide to fight erroneous beliefs
- Alleged GCHQ hacking of Belgian telecoms firm was widespread, reports reveal
- Power brick wins hackathon for developing countries
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.