New qualification will boost skills in Northern Ireland
Dr Mike Short, IET president.
IET president Dr Mike Short CBE says a proposed new AS and A level course in software and systems development will give Northern Ireland’s economy a boost by providing much needed skills.
“It is more important than ever that the worlds of education and industry work together to ensure that we have the engineers and technicians of the future. Our current generation, often referred to as the ‘Net Generation’, are heavy users of ICT in their social interaction, yet very few have been taught how to understand, design and build upon the technology that underpins most of our daily lives,” Dr Short says.
“This proposed new qualification in software and systems development has been developed to meet the needs of local industry. If approved, it will give Northern Ireland a boost in developing a skilled workforce which will enable us to compete effectively on the global stage.”
“A lack of ICT focus in the curriculum has resulted in generations of students who, though avid users of technology, have absolutely no insight into how modern ICT systems work,” adds Professor Jonathan Wallace, chairman of the Engineering Policy Group Northern Ireland.
The IET has provided input into the Northern Ireland’s Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment proposals for the new qualification. If the proposals are approved by Northern Ireland’s Department of Education, the new qualification will be available in schools from September 2013.
"How do you feel about the Internet of Things, big data, wearables, gamification or self-driving cars? Hyper excited or just plain bored?"
- Solar fuel economy 'imminent', says energy expert
- Security and privacy issues thwarting big data adoption
- Researchers propose body WiFi for the wearable technology age
- Scientists advance practical quantum computing
- Artificial photosynthesis energy research powered by X-ray lasers
- Objects vanish with real-life invisibility cloak
- Test [06:22 pm 20/03/15]
- Test [06:20 pm 20/03/15]
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.