Engineering students design hydrogen locomotive
University of Birmingham's hydrogen locomotiveCredit: University of Birmingham
Engineering students and staff at the University of Birmingham have designed, built and tested a prototype hydrogen-powered locomotive.
The university said the narrow gauge locomotive was the first of its kind to operate in the UK. The hybrid train operates using a 5,000l hydrogen fuel cell combined with lead acid batteries.
The fuel cell is used both to power the permanent magnet electric motors and to charge the batteries, with the batteries helping to meet the peak power demands during acceleration.
The advanced cell, which has already been successfully deployed by the university on a canal barge, exceeded expectations when the locomotive was tested on Leicestershire's Stapleford Miniature Railway.
Dr Stuart Hillmansen, from the University of Birmingham's School of Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering, said: "Our hydrogen-powered locomotive is a clean and efficient example of how hydrogen power could work for future trains on non-electrified routes.
"We hope that our efforts will encourage the rail industry to take a closer look at this exciting technology."
Watch a video on the locomotive.
"How do we balance security with civil liberties and privacy in today's high-tech but violent world? Can our private lives remain truly private?"
- Global Calculator: high life and climate change can co-exist
- BT plans to launch six times faster broadband by 2020
- BMW cars found at risk of being unlocked by hackers
- New search engine more efficient than Google
- I’d like that job – Sarah Doughty, Geographical information systems consultant, Atkins
- Partners of big data research institute named after Turing announced
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.