- Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top 20 institutions of higher education.....
- Recruiter: The University of Edinburgh
- Bristol, England / Cumbria, Barrow-In-Furness, England
Principal Electrical Engineer - Power Join our Electrical Power team and help design the self-contained generation and distribution system for the Successor submarine - a new generation of submarine designed to carry the UK's independent nuclear deterrent
- Recruiter: BAE Systems
- England, Cambridgeshire
- £33000 - £39000 per annum
Operations Supervisor - (Mechanical/Electrical/Instrumentation) Salary: Circa £33k - 39k dependant on experience + vehicle and great additional benefits (share scheme, pension, potential bonus).Location: Wisbech - Cambridgeshire We currently have an excit
- Recruiter: National Grid
- England, Lancashire
- Competitive package
Would you like to be involved with training UK and international teams in Non Destructive Inspection (NDI) to support the in service fleet (Typhoon Tornado, and Hawk)?
- Recruiter: BAE Systems
- Competitive Salary & Benefits
What?s the opportunity? There are fantastic opportunities in Systems Design for engineers to work within Future Systems. These are highly visible, fast paced roles, in...
- Recruiter: MBDA
- Teddington, United Kingdom
- £24,109 - £27,961 plus EO Electronics PE of £8,090.00
We are now looking for a Metering Engineer to deliver RD’s In-Service Testing (IST) scheme for gas and electricity meters.
- Recruiter: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- £46,625 to £57,640 per annum
As an experienced Estates Manager, you will play a key role in helping to shape the future of the Estates service.
- Recruiter: The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- York, North Yorkshire
- c£45,000 + Car Allowance + Bonus + Excellent Benefits
Nestlé Product Technology Centre in York currently has an excellent opportunity for an Engineering Project Manager
- Recruiter: Nestle
- Zurich, Canton of Zürich (CH)
The successful candidate is expected to develop a strong and visible research programme in the area of control and diagnostics of building systems
- Recruiter: ETH Zurich
- Humber Refinery, South Killingholme, North Lincolnshire DN40 3DW
- £60k - 75k plus extensive Compensation and benefits package, dependent upon experience
Experienced Process Control Leader providing leadership and technical support for Oil Refinery. Extensive Compensation and benefits package.
- Recruiter: Phillips 66
Icelandic data centres risk claims rebuffed
Volcanic eruptions in Iceland have cast a shadow over the country’s image as a secure and eco-efficient data centre location, according to UK-based IT services company ControlCircle. Its CEO has claimed that Eyjafjallajökull’s belchings will have a lasting impact on its reputation due to the combined hazards to flight bans and ash fallout.
“Effects such as a fly-ban would mean operators would be unable to get their IT personnel out there to resolve any technological problems,” ControlCircle CEO Damian Milkins claimed, “and they would be unable to ship-out kit containing sensitive data that for some reason has returned to the UK.”
Milkins also claims that volcanic ash could cause irreparable damage to cooling chillers and rotary generators, and that the air quality inside affected facilities could deteriorate to levels that jeopardise equipment integrity and leave personnel unable to work.
However, Milkin’s claims have been rejected by Verne Global, a wholesale data centre developer based in Keflavik, a town in the Reykjanes region of southwest Iceland.
“With harnessing the benefits of Iceland’s geothermal power, you also have to be prepared to address the by-product of that power source, which includes seismic and volcanic activity,” Verne Global CTI Tate Cantrell told E&T magazine. “Verne protects equipment and personnel from volcanic ash with a combination of sub-micron air filtration and closed-loop cooling designs that harness the cooling power of Iceland’s climate.”
Cantrell added that Verne has set-up relationships with Icelandic suppliers, technicians, and vendors to support its data centres locally.
More IT section news
"As the dust settles after the referendum result, we consider what happens next. We also look forward to an international summer of sport."
- HMS Ambush submarine crashes into ship, again
- Tesla’s 'Master Plan' future for self-driving cars and solar power
- Chip and pin compromised by hackers 'within a year'
- Flight MH370 search to be suspended, relatives informed
- MH370 search team may have looked in the wrong location for two years
- Lithuania launches campaign to lure away UK’s car-makers