23 Jan 2015 by Chris Edwards
An odd form of electronic circuit that doesn't rely on transistors ever switching on properly is finally making it to market. Well, sort of. The realities of what subthreshold operation does to circuitry means that most practical designs will never use it completely but instead favour a watered-down version.
21 Jan 2015 by Paul Dempsey
The US President's annual State of the Union address is typically dominated by broad brushstrokes with few detailed policy notes. The 2015 edition was no exception, although it did show President Obama maintaining his aggressive stance on climate change while emphasizing education and the need to upgrade the US workforce.
19 Jan 2015 by Vitali Vitaliev
The first month of 2015 is perfect time to sum up some of the last year's "After All" readers' challenges, announced on this page. 2014 was a good year for this column (and for the blog too!), which will mark its 8th birthday next June: not only it won a prestigious TABPI award in the USA, but had also registered an absolute record in the number of readers' responses.
31 Dec 2014 by Francis Goode
It's that time again, when newspapers and the TV urge us to look back at what we've been up to over the year just past, and look forward to what the new year might bring. The time when we ponder our New Year's resolutions - those big decisions that we suppose will govern the course of coming lives: a new job, a new diet, or simply trying harder to be nice to others.
"How do we balance security with civil liberties and privacy in today's high-tech but violent world? Can our private lives remain truly private?"
- Global Calculator: high life and climate change can co-exist
- I’d like that job – Sarah Doughty, Geographical information systems consultant, Atkins
- New search engine more efficient than Google
- Partners of big data research institute named after Turing announced
- Ringing the changes: 30 years of mobiles with Vodafone UK
- Virtual guitar pedal board with A/B comparison launched
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
The essential source of engineering products and suppliers.