4 March 2013 by James Hayes
cut back on discretionary spending. The sector will record 'weak growth' during the rest of 2013, IBISWorld predicts.
The phrase 'take-away' is, of course, no longer restricted to meals-to-go; it has in recent years entered common usage in a different context, that of the lingo of business efficiency: the 'takeaways' from a report, meeting, or event are the key points a person derives from them: often they are presented amid the 'headline findings' or maybe 'executive summary' of a report or survey. Use of takeaways in this context date back to the mid-2000s, but there's been a resurgence recent weeks that's won this dread phrase a place in E&T's unscientifically-generated list of over-used clichés, jargon, and buzzwords...
2. Low-hanging fruit (NB: there are no 'high-hanging fruit')
3. Outcomes (especially 'patient outcomes' in any NHS story)
4. Key (as in 'key issues', 'key metrics')
5. Box-ticking exercise / ticks all the right boxes
7. Excited / exciting
8. Big ask
9. Of biblical proportions (i.e., 'a data deluge of biblical proportions')
10. Magic bullet / silver bullet (as in 'there is no magic bullet for solving gun crime')
11. Thought leadership
12. Inappropriate (as in 'inappropriate behaviour')
13. Wake-up call
14: Level playing field
Edited: 05 March 2013 at 10:44 AM by James Hayes
Posted By: James Hayes @ 04 March 2013 10:03 AM Weasel Watch
FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.
"Climate change in Antarctica is leading to interest in extracting the region's natural resources, but there's the small matter of a treaty."
- First sun-powered hydrogen refuelling station opens in UK
- Offshore windfarm scaled back due to low subsidy budget
- Mobile data more accurate than census, says study
- New software to investigate Alzheimer's detection
- One atom thin material turns motion into electricity
- Watershed moment for wearables this Christmas, says Samsung
- What to Specialise in Electronics Engineering?? [03:02 am 03/04/14]
- Britain to have just one remaining coal pit by the end of 2015 [01:11 am 03/04/14]
- LV Generator Star point earthing - UK [08:35 pm 02/04/14]
- East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route [07:33 pm 02/04/14]
- Small nuclear power [06:06 pm 02/04/14]
Tune into our latest podcast