6 May 2011 by James Hayes
Some commentators suspect that the two entities have already become inextricable linked - but are we heading toward a case of tail wagging dog, where cloud diktats lure data centre science off in a wayward 'direction of travel'?
In seeking an answer to that question it is important, some aver, not to over-estimate the nebulous nature of the cloud construct.
Colt's executive vice president of infrastructure services unit Mark Leonard's view is that cloud computing is actually "an IT operating model - it is having an impact on data centre design," he says, although any perceived associations between cloud and consumer confidence should not be over-rated, Leonard adds: with the fundamental abstraction of cloud services from the underlying infrastructure, it is "more likely to weaken any perceived linkage between cloud service and data centre - especially in the consumer context".
It's a fair point: cloud computing in its essentials is not much more than an operating model (not unlike the OSI's multi-coloured Seven Layer Model, say) with a fluffy name that at the same time lends itself too-readily to marketing. There's where the OSI missed a trick - had it've been more marketing savvy, could the 1990s have now been known as the era of 'Rainbow Computing'?
Edited: 16 May 2011 at 06:02 PM by James Hayes
Posted By: James Hayes @ 06 May 2011 03:05 PM General
FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2013 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.
"Summer is on the way, so we turn our attention to a few leisurely pursuits - and some not-so leisurely ones..."
- Greenpeace frowns at Centrica's getting a shale-gas venture stake
- World’s most advanced comms satellite shipped to launch site
- HMS Queen Elizabeth nears completion
- Scientist to benefit from exascale supercomputer deal
- Dinosaurs’ app uses augmented reality
- Chinese space capsule reaches its ‘Heavenly Palace’
- Transformers Vector Group [04:55 pm 19/06/13]
- E&T magazine - Debate - HS2, the need for speed [01:33 pm 18/06/13]
- Creating an Iphone App [05:50 pm 17/06/13]
- CO2 is good [07:29 pm 16/06/13]
- DECC-EDF makes yet another attempt to fund 3rd Generation Nuclear at any cost [05:02 pm 15/06/13]
Tune into our latest podcast