African countries with ambitions to find a place among the world's innovators certainly face big challenges, but there is no shortage of ideas from the continent's brightest minds.
Radar and tracking technology continues to develop into new, innovative application areas, from UAV navigation to archaeological mapping.
Google's Glass project is synonymous with augmented reality, but the technology is already part of everyday life for many people.
As the Raspberry Pi celebrates its first birthday, designs intended for the hobbyist are getting mainstream attention from developers of 'grown up' applications.
Smartphones designed to exploit the emerging 4G networks are ravenous for data, and that's good news for service operators who need ways to maximise usage-based revenue models. But the transition from 3G to 4G is likely to throw up several contentious issues that will take time and effort to reconcile.
"Africa is abundant with engineering opportunity. We look at some of the projects and the problems."
- UK just six hours from running out of gas in March [09:02 pm 24/05/13]
- Ideas for a final year university project [05:55 pm 24/05/13]
- Fourth Generation Nuclear: Molten Salt Reactors [10:39 am 24/05/13]
- LED bulb efficiency - its all about the drivers not the LEDs? [09:52 am 24/05/13]
- Marketing from Engineers' perspective [02:18 am 24/05/13]
Tune into our latest podcast